The History of the Nuneaton Amateur Operatic & Dramatic Society
Over 96 Years Old!
Edward Arnold Shute founded Nuneaton Dramatic Society in 1889. There was no theatre in Nuneaton in those days and cinemas were unheard of. Fit-up crowds occasionally appeared at the Newdigate Arms or the Drill Hall in Mill Walk, but people depended chiefly for its dramatic fare on the visits of one or another of the portable theatres.
The Drill hall was to be the home of the Dramatic society for some considerable time, up to and including 1920 when the present Society was formed. NAODS has had several homes in its time including the Hippodrome Bond Street, which holds many happy memories for some of the more “established” members!
Since the late 1960’s the society has performed at the old Ritz cinema before it’s conversion to a bingo hall and the Arts Centre in Pool Bank Street, Nuneaton. It was during the 1970’s that one of the society stalwarts Eddie Evans persuaded the company to move to the newly completed Civic Hall in Bedworth, where they continued performing until 2004. It was during this year that the society returned to the Arts Centre (since renamed the Abbey Theatre) and re-established themselves.